Monday, August 07, 2006

Suth'un Hospitality

The second stop on my Southeastern tour was in Lexington, VA, home of Washington & Lee University. My friend Kate works there, so I stopped in to crash on her couch and get a taste of the Old South tradition.

Kate is the quintessential Southern woman. Raised in Charlotte, NC, Kate attended college in South Carolina, pledged a sorority, and then promptly landed a job at Washington & Lee after graduation. She's a sweet, cute blonde who wears sweet, cute sun dresses and talks in a sweet, cute voice. What I appreciate about her, though, is that behind that sweet, cute demeanor, she can channel a scathing commentary that would put Joan Rivers to shame ("Well, I guess her dress is cute, if you're into the Frumpty Dumpty look.").

As soon as I arrived in town, Kate suggested that we eat dinner at the Bistro Cafe on Main Street. I started to tell her it didn't matter to me where we ate, as long as there were . . . But Kate finished my thought before I could even get it out of my mouth: "Oh, we're going to the Old Southern Inn after dinner for mint juleps!"

My heart melted, as I realized that Kate and I were more spiritually connected than I had ever realized. There was no way I could visit Lexington, VA, and not have mint juleps, but Kate had already covered this necessity in her plans for the evening. The Bistro served shrimp and grits, and the Old Southern Inn concocted mint juleps stronger than American Idol's ratings; the only thing that could have made the night more perfect was if Dolly Parton had happened to stop by to give an impromptu concert on the lawn in front of Washinton & Lee's president's house.

Upon arriving at the Old Southern Inn and three mint juleps later, Kate and I had discussed our hopeful love lives and had planned our entire familial futures in the event that our current love interests don't pan out. In our utopian world, she and I will marry, live in a yellow turn-of-the-century front-porched house in downtown Lexington, and will give birth to beautiful, blonde children who will wear smocked clothing made by Kate herself. I will open a small law practice in town, and most of my job duties will involve drafting old-money wills and inviting local judges to my office for late-afternoon political discussions over five-card draw, Kentucky bourbon, and Monte Cristo #2 cigars.

I do declare, the Suth'un life is the way to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home